Last week we went out and bought some party supplies for Dreyson’s birthday party coming up in a few weeks. One of those supplies was a Pinata. (A Spider-man Pinata of course!)
As I was going through my list of things required for the party I saw the words ‘Cupcakes’ and ‘Pinata’ on my list. Cupcakes and Pinata… Pinata Cupcakes!
It seemed to be a totally cool and original idea. (Of course, a quick google search showed me I am WAY behind the times and Pinata Cupcakes have been done a billion times over already. Haha.)
But here they are anyway. Vanilla Cupcakes that look pretty standard from the outside but, surprise! They have a treat inside. In this case they were mini m&m’s and sprinkles.
If you’re into cream cheese and whipped cream you will love the frosting I used. I could just eat it out of a bowl all by itself! It’s nice and light and not too sweet.
Also, you can swap the m&m’s out for any type of small chocolate or candy filling and use whatever cupcake and frosting flavour you like. I did find that the m&m’s lost their crunch after being inside the cupcake for 24 hours so perhaps they’re best eaten straight away. Which is totally fine by me 😉
Surprise Pinata Cupcakes
- Bake Cupcakes. (I just used a boxed Vanilla cake mix.)
- Once completely cooled and using a serrated knife, carefully cut a hole in the centre of the cupcake about 1 inch deep. Put cut piece aside.
- Fill hole with choice of chocolate or candy filling.
- Remove some cake off the bottom of the cut piece and put back into hole, on top of the filling.
- Top with frosting of choice. (I used this yummy recipe here, but swapped the granulated sugar for powdered sugar.)
Pinata Cupcakes. Perfect for a party or celebration!
Or just because 🙂
Have you made or tried Pinata Cupcakes before?