- Yield: 12
- 350 g Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 40 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 150 g (⅔ cup) Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder, sifted
- 35 g (¼ cup) Plain (all purpose) Flour, sifted
Salted Caramel Frosting
- 165 g (¾ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 60 mL (¼ cup) water
- 125 mL (½ cup) single (pouring) cream
- 150 g unsalted butter, chopped
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Put 200g of the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook, while stirring, until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Put the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and mix for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, chocolate mixture and remaining chocolate and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, allowing room to spread and bake for 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked.
- To make the salted caramel icing, place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir with a metal spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 8–9 minutes or until golden. Remove from the heat and carefully add the cream and butter. Return the saucepan to the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk mixture until soft peaks form. Spread half the cookies with the icing, sprinkle with the salt and sandwich with the remaining cookies.